But what I set up this afternoon should work *fingers crossed* - I'd got a bunch of RNA samples sat around in the -80°C freezer and just before I went away I did a trial cDNA synthesis of some of them, followed by a GAPDH PCR and I got bands! (That's a good thing, btw.) I'd been having trouble before with contamination of the PCRs and other such things so the samples had been in ethanol for a bit too long, and previous batches I'd tried were clearly too old :/ But the trial run of these was OK, so I did the next 18 samples today, and I run the gel tomorrow to find out if it worked. Hope so, coz that avoids setting up the experiment to collect the samples again. Then I can analyse them (GAPDH is a housekeeping gene so the GAPDH PCR just shows that there's cDNA there in the end and that the cells were alive when I harvested them), then if it's interesting I get to set up the experiments again, but at least then I'm looking for confirmation of a result rather than fishing in the dark ;)
Came home this evening and cooked tuna lasagne - orginally intended to have it yesterday, as the preparation time is close to 2 hours, but then we decided to have an Indian takeaway instead as a treat for the last day of our holiday. It was worth the long cooking time, as always, but it does make for an awfully late dinner even if I do start cooking immediately when I get in.