Margaret (pling) wrote,
Margaret
pling

  • Mood:
  • Music:
Tuesday was mostly spent in a frenzy of present buying for J's birthday - got everything ordered, got my mother organised, got stuff ordered on behalf of J's parents. Hopefully everything will arrive in time - it should do as there's still a week and a half to go. All that's left to actually organise is cake, I need to check through my cookery books for a chocolate cake recipe (of the sort I like too, not an over-rich gateau thing) & buy a cake tin to make it in :) Worst case it'll end up walnut & coffee cake coz I know I've got a recipe for that ;)

So yesterday was a contrast as I spent the majority of the afternoon re-writing my quake 4 log analysis perl script & manually checking the data. Don't think I'd mentioned it here before? I discovered that the xbattle mod logs out the sort of data I wanted to analyse - quite like the quake 3 logs, in fact, though there're some differences. kleeks (from the jolt servers where we normally play of an evening) kindly gave me a log from their xbattle server to give me something to work with and I'd got some basic stats done (here, but I don't think there's anyone that people who read this know) but next on the agenda was manually checking a couple of games from that log just to be sure I'd got it right. And instantly I discovered a mistaken assumption I'd made about how things were logged. Which meant gutting the script & re-writing a fair chunk of it. But it's now simpler and I think I've ended up with a better way of doing things, so it's all good in the end. I think it'll've changed the figures slightly though.

I then spent a large chunk of the afternoon going through 17000 lines of log (just 2 games worth) counting kills & checking name changes/disconns/reconns were working properly. Of course the numbers didn't match - I'm missing about 3 frags out of 300 or so. I think that's my error rather than script error though - there doesn't seem to be anything systematic about it. Double checking my counting should thankfully be quicker than first time round, I only need to look for kill/suicide/worldkill lines as the other stuff checked out fine.

Then I need to make it deal with multiple log files, then I think I'm done with dull bits for a little while. And can add some more stats :) One thing that does need to be done longer term is read up on cgi scripts & make it a little more elegant - at the moment it writes out umpteen html files, it works but it's somewhat cluttered. But that's for a latter date, I think.
Tags: birthday, computer, cooking, games, j, perl, quake 4
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments