I also fought with report formats in Gramps & tables in Abiword. I couldn't see how to change the formatting of the Family Group Report in Gramps (making the changes I want would require scripting it myself I think, and I can't be bothered with the amount I'd need to learn to make that work), and either the rtf document or the way Abiword handles it has some bizareness to the tables the report contains. Like instead of one table per section (for any level of section) the tables break part way through sections sometimes (on missing info, possibly?) and then you get gaps between the lines because it's a new table. And copy pasting the lines didn't seem trivial :/ I got most of it sorted out (got rid of borders, reorgnised headings etc to reduce the repetition & clutter), but the split tables are still split. And I'm not sure I like the way it looks even so. I may just yank all that bit out of the document again (I've got it saved in re-worked format seperately, so I don't lose the work I did) ... maybe look at more of the reports & see if there's one that has enough of the same info in a different format, I can add/remove/alter small bits & pieces of info more easily than sweeping formating changes it seems.
And I started making little maps of where places are, tho I'm not sure where they fit into the flow of the text. I'll figure it out :)